Summer Student Program

Career Development Section - Summer Students group photo.

Spend Your Summer with Us!

The summer program at the NIAMS provides an opportunity for you to spend a summer working side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research. Outstanding opportunities exist for high school, undergraduate, graduate and medical students contemplating a career in biomedical research or academic medicine. Some key features of the program are:

  • Train and conduct cutting-edge basic and clinical research
  • Receive career mentoring from leading investigators
  • Learn new technologies, scientific investigative skills, research ethics, and the use of information technologies
  • Attend formal lectures and symposia dealing with the latest advances in health research
  • Network and exchange information with peers and other members of the NIH scientific community
  • Obtain key credentials that will help you compete for graduate school, medical school, fellowships, and permanent positions
  • Gain experience presenting scientific results at journal clubs, lab seminars, and the Annual NIH Summer Research Poster Day

At NIAMS we offer an outstanding summer experience that you will certainly find stimulating and rewarding. Intramural investigators pursue diverse projects in biomedical research ranging from fundamental analyses of protein structure and function involving crystallography, cryoelectron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy, through protein chemistry, cell biology, signal transduction, gene regulation, tissue development and differentiation, genetics and immunology to more directly applicable research on the genetics etiology, pathogenesis and treatment of a variety of rheumatic, autoimmune, inflammatory, joint, skin, and muscle diseases.

Eligibility Requirements

The Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research is for students sixteen years of age or older who are currently enrolled at least half-time in high school, an accredited U.S. college or university or an accredited U.S. medical/dental school. If you have been accepted into a college or university program or if you have been accepted into medical or dental school but will not matriculate until the fall, you are also eligible to apply. The program is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Awards within the NIAMS Summer Program cover a minimum of eight weeks, and you would generally arrive at the NIH in May or June.


Stipend amounts for the different training fellowships are listed in separate tables for the different training fellowships. For NIAMS Summer Program use Table 5 indicating "All Areas." The stipends for trainees are adjusted yearly, with supplements for prior experience.

Application Procedure

There are two methods to apply to our program.

Students can apply online. Applications are accepted from November 15 to March 1. The electronic application requires submission of a curriculum vitae or resume, a list of the applicant's publications, a cover letter describing the applicant's research interests and career goals, and the names and contact information for two references. Candidates are asked to specify the scientific methodologies or disease/organ systems that interest them.


Summer interns are selected through the NIAMS Career Development and Outreach Branch (CDOB) on a rolling basis through May. Applications are reviewed and selections are made based on the information supplied. If you have an interest in working in specific laboratories or research areas within NIAMS, please indicate that on your application, or through follow-up contact (email preferred) with the CDOB office.

Candidates will be informed of their selection through the CDOB office. Successful candidates will be required to submit the following documentation prior to beginning their training:

  • Official high school, college, or graduate school transcripts
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status. U.S. citizens may submit a copy of their birth certificate or passport. Permanent residents will need to provide a copy of their alien registration card.

Have a question? Contact Us


Updated January 13, 2013