Applying Electronically - Training
Note: To view applicant resources available at Grants.gov, including animated tutorials, FAQs, and Troubleshooting Tips, etc., visit the Applicant Resources page.
Overview of the Electronic Grant Application Process
- Interacting Electronically With NIH (PowerPoint - 4 MB)
- Updated June 2012
- This presentation, given at NIH outreach events, provides an overview of both pre- and post-award electronic processes. The PowerPoint "Notes View" provides the detailed presenter’s notes.
- Successful eSubmission (PowerPoint - 6 MB)
- Updated June 2012
- This presentation, given during hands-on workshops at NIH Regional Seminars, provides a comprehensive overview of the electronic application submission process, from preparing to apply to checking your application’s status in eRA Commons.
Note: If anyone has accessibility issues with the PowerPoint presentations, please contact Joseph Schumaker.
- eSubmission Pop Quiz (PowerPoint - 714 KB)
- Updated June 2012
- Revised before each hands-on eSubmission workshop at NIH Regional Seminars, this “pop quiz” presentation reviews main points covered in the workshop.
Registering with Grants.gov and eRA Commons
- For information about registering as an organization or an individual with Grants.gov, view the “Organization Registration Overview” and “Individual Registration Overview” animated tutorials available at Grants.gov.
- eRA Commons:
Finding, Completing, and Submitting Your Electronic Application
- For information about how to search Grants.gov for grant opportunities and how to complete your application using Adobe Reader, view the animated tutorials available at Grants.gov.
- Find Opportunity and Download Application Package (MS Word – 1 MB)
- Includes steps and screenshots to follow to find a funding opportunity in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts and download the appropriate application forms.
- A Walk Through the SF424 (R&R) (PowerPoint – 8 MB)
- This presentation highlights the various sections of the SF424 (R&R) application forms and provides handy tips on filling out the forms.
- Do I Have the Right Electronic Forms for My NIH Application? (PDF – 176 KB)
- Use this handy flyer to find out if you have chosen the correct set of Adobe forms for your electronic application.
Using eRA Commons to Complete the Submission Process
- Creating a Commons Demo Account (PDF – 574 KB)
- Provides instructions for creating an account in Commons Demo, a practice environment where applicants and grantees can practice using the various sections and features of eRA Commons.
- Signing Officials: Check Your Submission Status and View Your Assembled Application in eRA Commons
- PD/PIs: Check Your Submission Status and View Your Assembled Application in eRA Commons
Electronic Submission of Multi-Project Applications
- Initial Look at the Electronic Submission Process for Multi-Project Applications (Slides, transcript, details)
- This webinar is designed for investigators and administrators who are considering submitting grant applications in response to funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) for multi-project applications that require electronic submission.
- This webinar will instruct applicants how to develop, submit, and track a multi-project application on-line using the new ASSIST (Application Submission System & Interface for Submission Tracking) tool. NIH experts will show applicants how to set up their application; navigate the system; set access controls to allow people to work concurrently on the application; run a check against NIH and Grants.gov business rules to find errors; and view an application image before submitting.
Important Note: To watch videocasts, you will need to download this free RealPlayer
from Real Networks. For additional information about viewing videocasts, please click here.