Read below to locate information and resources for disabled consumers. You can also visit Disability.gov to find resources in your community.

Organizations that Provide Services to Consumers with Disabilities

The National Council on Disability (NCD) is an independent federal agency that makes recommendations to the President and Congress to improve the quality of life for Americans with disabilities and their families. The NCD works to empower individuals with disabilities and to promote equal opportunity

The National Disability Rights Network (NDRN) provides legally based advocacy services for people with disabilities in the U.S.

The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) provides training and information to parents of disabled children and to people who work with them.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity offers resources and answers questions about the housing rights of people with disabilities, and the responsibilities of housing providers and building and design professionals according to the federal law.

National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) administers a free loan service of recorded and Braille books and magazines, music scores in Braille and large print, plus specially designed playback equipment. Service is also extended to eligible American citizens residing abroad. While NLS administers the program, direct service is provided through a national network of cooperating libraries.

Services and Resources for Consumers with Disabilities

Relay Services. Telecommunications relay services link telephone conversations between individuals who use standard voice telephones and those who use text telephones (TTYs). Calls can be made from either type of telephone to the other type through the relay service.

Local Relay Services. States provide relay services for local and long distance calls. Please consult your local telephone directory for information on the use, fees (if any), services, and dialing instructions for that area.

Federal Relay Service. The FRS, a program of the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), provides access to TTY users who wish to conduct official business nationwide with and within the federal government. The toll-free number is 1-800-377-8642. For more information on relay communications or to obtain a brochure on using the FRS, please call toll-free 1-800-877-0996.

Other Services. Consumers who are deaf or hard of hearing, or who have a speech impairment, and use a TTY may receive operator and directory assistance for calls by calling toll-free 1-800-855-1155. Check the introductory pages of your local telephone directory for additional TTY services.