WebMIRS Version History
Changes to vertebral height data (May 2008 - nhanes2 database)
- Issue WM-6: User can't distinguish between Cervical and Lumbar
vertebral heights. This issue was fixed by adding in an extra field
for in the Quantitative Data section of the nhanes2 taxonomy. Also
removed a similar field from the X-Ray section since it was not
- Issue WM-7: Possbile erroneous vertebral height data. There were some
obviously out-of-range data points that were removed from the database.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.1 (March 2006)
- Firewall Issue - Since the first release of WebMIRS we've used a
direct connection to our database server. This has increasingly
caused problems for users as firewalls have become more stringent and
wouldn't allow this type of outgoing connection. However, we have now
fixed this issue by the use of a third-party package (JDBTunnel)
which uses a servlet listening on port 80 to make the connection to
our database. We believe this should eliminate all firewall connection
- Issue WM-1: Can't import "saved results" into SUDAAN. This issue has
been fixed by removing spaces from the mapped column names.
- Issue WM-3: Table header font is difficult to read. Fixed this issue
by changing the font family from "monospaced" to "SansSerif".
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.10
- Issue59 - Attributes for the Image View used to be redundantly
retrieved. With the merging of the Tabular & Image views, this extra
query per person is no longer required.
- Issue71 - Removed the option to select Quantitative Data if the
database doesn't support it.
- Issue81 - New functionality; made the Quantitative Data and the new
Vertebral Measurements queryable from WebMIRS. The measurements
included in this release are Anterior Height, Posterior Height, and
Anterior/Posterior Ratio for each vertebra with QData. This data is
displayed in a separate table for clarity.
- Issue88 - The WebMIRS Help screen was being displayed blank due to
the website change to PHP a while ago. The Java HTMLViewer couldn't
handle the PHP, so these pages have been duplicated in straight HTML.
This should be a short-term solution since maintaining these replicated
pages is difficult.
- Issue89 - The tables from the Returned Attribute List were being
persisted in a Hashtable. This Hashtable attribute was removed and the
list recreated each time a query is made.
- Issue90 - New functionality; combined and integrated the Tabular and
Image views in a single tab with two panes. The table and BatchViewer
are now linked together such that when the current person is changed
in either view, the other view changes correspondingly. This provides
a much more usable interface to the user.
- Issue92 - The Quantitative Display Points were being displayed using
too large a "point". It's size has been now been reduced.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.9
- Issue41 - Added the -max_heap_size=264M parameter to the JNLP file so
that Java Web Start now allows for a much large memory
footprint making it very difficult to run out of memory.
- Issue44 - The system would hang when system ran out of memory
(Issue41). The combination of Issues #41 and #82 being
resolved in turn solves this issue.
- Issue82 - If a database timeout occurred, the system simply exited.
Now any "critical errors" like this one give the user a
choice whether to attempt to continue or to exit.
- Issue83 - The system was crashing while executing large queries due
to a MYSQL threshold that was set too low.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.8
- WebMIRS is now delivered using the Java Web Start delivery mechanism.
For more details, please see
Java Web Start Info.
- Issue16 - A method of querying for "Blank" or "Blank,
but Applicable" values in the data was added.
- Issue23 - Some search elements, such as state, had to be searched by
integer code. A pulldown box for this has been added.
- Issue27 - The method of finding the properties/resources files was
inefficient since numerous locations had to be searched.
These files are now included in the jar file.
- Issue55 - Typing either a null field or a non-numeric field for a
numeric query now generates a meaningful error message.
Previously, a cryptic database message was produced.
- Issue62 - The CertificateException used to be thrown if security wasn't
installed. This is no longer the case with Java Web Start.
- Issue74 - The meaningful value of a NULL field in the database (such
as "Blank") was not being displayed in the Tabular
View when codes were turned off.
- Issue75 - Fixed the ability to search against string data in a string
field. Used to produce an error if input wasn't numeric.
- Issue76 - The Attribute description was often very long and caused
the query window to get very wide. Newlines have been added
to break up these long descriptions.
- Issue77 - Certain field descriptions weren't being displayed in the
Tabular View when the codes were turned off. It had to do
with a data conversion error and has been fixed.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.7b
- Issue67 - When running code compiled using a 1.3 JDK under a 1.2.x
version of the JRE, the NoClassDefError was thrown.
- Issue68 - Some of the panel sizes were bad under a 1.2.x version of
- Issue69 - Created an initial prototype of a display of Quantitative
data points overlaid on the x-ray images.
- Issue70 - If Quantitative Data queries were being performed and the
user switched databases, old values for the Quantitative Data config.
dialog could have been restored causing unpredictable, incorrect
- Issue72 - Under certain rare instances, the number of matching
Quantitative Data person ids was incorrectly displayed in the initial
dialog to the user.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.7a
- Issue63 - There was a sorting problem when Quantitative Data was
selected where under certain circumstances the returned table wouldn't
be sorted by PersonId.
- Issue64 - Due to a change in WebMIRS1_0_7, the "Exit" button on the
login screen threw an exception and did not work.
- Issue65 - Installation under Windows 2000 did not work due to the
imbedded spaces in the new "Documents and Settings" directory. The
installation script required a change to handle this version of the OS.
- Issue66 - The dialog used to enter the Quantitative Data Query options
was non-trivial, but did not have a "Cancel" button which would allow
the user to undo mistaken changes. This was added, with the values
reset to the previous state.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.7
- Issue60 - This is a continuation of Issue 54 and extends the basic
Quantitative Data (QData) functionality. The user can now further
limit a QData query by presence of osteophytes, osteophytes of a
certain image type (Cervical or Lumbar), osteophytes on particular
vertebra (C1, L4, etc.), or by fused vertebra.
- Issue37 - The ADD button in the attribute selector used to run
outside the panel and become inaccessible in certain resolutions or
configurations. This panel is now contained within a scrolling pane,
so the user can always get to all controls regardless of resolution.
- Issue56 - The list of Attributes to be Returned now handles a Java
bug whereby it could become unscrollable.
- Issue57 - Deleting items from the list of Attributes to be Returned
used to work incorrectly with a random item deleted. It is now backed
by an ordered list (placed in the order the user selects them), so
the selected item is the one deleted.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.6a
- Issue61 - Under version 1.2.2 of the JRE/Plug-in, the system would
hang when a Quantitative Data query was submitted. Due to the severity
of this issue, an interrim release was quickly delivered.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.6
- Added new Quantitative Data functionality (Issue 54). This is a basic
implementation that allows queries against a new database table that
has vertebrae segmentation data for select images. This basic
implementation of this feature will limit standard queries to these
images and will display all the Quantitative Data for those person
IDs in a separate dialog window.
- Issue58 - The Option Dialog didn't display correctly under UNIX. This
has been fixed to use setEnabled() instead of setVisible().
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.5
- Issue36 - Garbage characters were being printed out when a query was
pushed back 'UP'. These have been removed.
- Issue45 - The system used to require that the .java.policy have a
permission to grant read access to <<ALL_FILES>>
due to a bug in the Java JFileChooser. This has been
replaced with a FileDialog to work around this bug.
- Issue47 - The system now will display a better error message when the
user cannot get through to the WebMIRS database because of
an intervening firewall. It used to put up the standard
"Invalid Username/Password" dialog.
- Issue49 - The previous version threw an uncaught exception on the
PSU/Strata page if security wasn't installed.
- Issue50 - Fixed a problem where the database threw an SQLException
because the user entered text data in a numeric field, which
caused the system exit fatally. An error message is now
- Issue52 - Under Windows, the WebMIRS security system wouldn't install
if the user was running JDK or JRE version 1.3.
- Issue53 - Added changes to the website (and one class) to simplify
and encourage the use of the 1.3 Plug-in/JRE.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.4
- Added new Stratum/Pseudo-PSU functionality (Issue42). There is now an
additional results tab that provides a table of the all the Strata/PSU
combinations included in the current query. It can be used to help
assess the statistical validity of a particular query.
- Issue35 - System no longer even attempts to download zero records.
- Issue46 - Fixed a bug where the system would hang or die when 0 records
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.3
- This was an internal baseline only, and was never delivered
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.2
- The webpages for WebMIRS have been reorganized a little, updated, and
- Issue20 - Fixed a memory leak in the Results Table. Repeated queries
should no longer caused an OutOfMemoryError.
- Issue40 - Much larger datasets can be returned without causing an
OutOfMemoryError; the entire set of records can now be returned with
25-40 attributes depending on the database.
- Issue42 - A first cut at providing the user with Pseudo-PSU information
has been added. This issue is not yet closed, however.
Changes in WebMIRS version 1.0.1
- Issue32 - Made controls for clearing items more consistent and more
- Issue33 - Renamed SAVE button on the Search screen to PUSH and added
an uparrow for clarity.
- Issue38 - Changed default image view from Lumbar Spine to Cervical
- Issue39 - Fixed problem where the results table would shrink when
advancing to the next record in the Image View.