In March 2010, President Obama signed into law the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (together referred to as the Affordable Care Act) that make health insurance coverage more affordable for individuals, families, and the owners of small businesses. The Affordable Care Act is one aspect of a broader movement toward a reformed behavioral health system.
For the behavioral health field, "health reform" includes MHPAEA, Olmstead1 and early periodic screening, diagnosis, and treatment (EPSDT)2 issues, integration with the broader health system, and increased use of health information technology (HIT). More specific efforts are also important to the reform of the behavioral health system, such as the National HIV/AIDS Strategy, the Tribal Law and Order Act, and the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention. Read more about health reform. For more information on SAMHSA's role in health reform see SAMHSA's Leading Change: A Plan for SAMHSA's Roles and Actions 2011 – 2014.
What we are doing
National and State Estimates
- National and State Estimates of the Prevalence of Behavioral Health Conditions Among the Uninsured: Estimates of the number of individuals with behavioral health conditions eligible for the Medicaid Expansion and Health Insurance Exchanges under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), based on data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) the 2010 American Community Survey (ACS).
BHbusiness: Mastering Essential Business Operations for Behavioral Health Providers
- BHbusiness: A new initiative to provide targeted training and other supports to ensure that behavioral healthcare providers are ready to meet the demand for services in this new health reform environment.
- Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act
Information and resources on mental health and substance abuse services parity for consumers, insurance purchasers and States.
- Health Insurance Enrollment
Find out what insurance coverage you may be eligible for or explore information and resources on health insurance enrollment for individuals, providers and states.
- Health Home Information and Opportunities
Information about health homes including screening tools, models, outcomes, and research.
- Prevention Information and Opportunities
Information about prevention initiatives in health reform and changes in prevention health insurance benefits.
- Medicare Information and Opportunities
Information on Medicare, Accountable Care Organizations and Dual Eligibles.
- SAMHSA Block Grants
Information about SAMHSA’s Mental Health and Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grants
Visit SAMHSA's webinar archive for information about previously aired webinars in the series.
Information for consumers, providers, States, and the public about important topics and provisions regarding the Affordable Care Act.
- Importance of Primary and Behavioral Health Care 4/14/11 [PDF - 900KB]
- Health Disparities and the Affordable Care Act 4/14/11 [PDF - 400KB]
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Parity 4/8/11 [PDF - 100KB]
- Immediate Changes to Health Reform and How to Become Involved 3/28/11 [PDF - 1MB]
- Quick Facts on Health Reform 3/28/11 [PDF - 1.1MB]
- Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan 3/28/11 [PDF - 1.3MB]
- Commonly Used Terms in Health Reform 3/28/11 [PDF - 908KB]
Information Resource Center
- Center for Financing Reform and Innovations' Information Resource Center
Contact SAMHSA's Center for Financing Reform and Innovations' (CFRI) Information Resource Center (IRC) at CFRI.firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding financing health care reform, Good and Modern behavioral health services, as well as other questions on financing mental health and substance use services.
- Financing Focus 2/14/2013 [PDF - 644KB]
- Financing Focus 1/17/2012 [PDF - 629KB]
- Financing Focus 12/13/2012 [PDF - 717KB]
- Financing Focus 11/15/2012 [PDF - 520KB]
- Financing Focus 09/21/2012 [PDF - 646KB]
- Financing Focus 09/07/2012 [PDF - 501KB]
- Financing Focus 08/24/2012 [PDF - 564KB]
- Financing Focus 08/10/2012 [PDF - 618KB]
- Financing Focus 07/27/2012 [PDF - 583KB]
- Financing Focus 07/13/2012 [PDF - 588KB]
- Financing Focus 07/13/2012 [PDF - 588KB]
- Financing Focus 06/29/2012 [PDF - 699KB]
- Financing Focus 06/15/2012 [PDF - 593KB]
- Financing Focus 06/01/2012 [PDF - 616KB]
- Financing Focus 05/18/2012 [PDF - 563KB]
- Financing Focus 05/04/2012 [PDF - 617KB]
- Financing Focus 04/23/2012 [PDF - 529KB]
- Financing Focus 04/06/2012 [PDF - 535KB]
- State-level Spending Estimates, 2011 Full Report
- State-level Spending Estimates, 2011 Reports by Region
- Description of a Good and Modern Addictions and Mental Health Service System [PDF - 99KB]
- Financing Center of Excellence - News and information on health care financing
- Health Reform Core Consensus Principles [PDF - 453KB] - a framework for discussion
Last updated: 02/14/2013