Pamela S. Hyde, J.D.
Administrator, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
United States Department of Health and Human Services
Pamela Hyde was nominated by President Barack Obama and confirmed by the U.S. Senate in November 2009 as Administrator of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), a public health agency within the Department of Health and Human Services. The agency's mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America's communities.
Ms. Hyde is an attorney and comes to SAMHSA with more than 30 years experience in management and consulting for public healthcare and human services agencies. She has served as a state mental health director, state human services director, city housing and human services director, as well as CEO of a private non-profit managed behavioral healthcare firm. In 2003 she was appointed cabinet secretary of the New Mexico Human Services Department by Gov. Bill Richardson, where she worked effectively to provide greater access to quality health services for everyone.
Ms. Hyde is a member of or has served as a consultant to many national organizations, including the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the American College of Mental Health Administration, the President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health and the United States Department of Justice. She has been recognized by many groups, including the American Medical Association, the National Governor's Association and the Seattle Management Association, for her creativity and leadership in policy and program development and in organizational management issues. She has received special acknowledgment for her ability to build teams, develop coalitions and consensus, develop strategic plans and form the basis for action and achieve identified goals in a constantly changing environment.
Ms. Hyde received her J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School (1976) and her B.A. from Southwest Missouri State University (1972).
Last updated: 11/30/2010
- FacebookExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- FlickrExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- RSS FeedsExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- SAMHSA BlogExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- TwitterExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- YoutubeExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- HHS Laws & Regulations
- The No FEAR Act
- e-Gov Content Inventory
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- The President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health
- Healthy People 2010
- The Children's Health Act of 2000 (Public Law 106-310)
- Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient Records (42 CFR, part 2)