Grant Information for Current and Prospective HHS Grantees
In support of its mission, HHS awards grants for more than 300 programs and is the largest grant-awarding agency in the Federal government. HHS awards two types of grants: non-discretionary and discretionary.
- Non-Discretionary grants are those that a federal agency is required by statute to award if the recipient, usually a state, submits an acceptable State Plan or application and meets the eligibility and compliance requirements of the statutory and regulatory provisions of the grant program.
- Discretionary grants permit the federal government, according to specific authorizing legislation, to exercise judgment, or "discretion," in selecting the applicant/recipient organization, through a competitive grant process.
Information for Applicants and Grantees
- Find a Grant:
- Business and Financial Grant Management Guidance (by HHS Operating Division)
Find links to each HHS grant-making agency's grant management guidance. Also see Program Support Center guidance at:
- Tips for Preparing Grant Proposals
Learn basic tips for preparing grant proposals.
- HHS Grant Process
Learn about the HHS grants management process and how grants are reviewed
- Standard Recovery Act Grant Terms and Conditions
- Track Obligated HHS Grant Funds
Tracking Accountability in Government Grants through the TAGGS Web Site. View Grants by
Grants Policies, Laws, and Regulations
- HHS Grants Policy Statement [PDF - 1.32MB]
- National Institutes of Health Grants Policy Statement (NIH)
- Laws & Regulations
- Other Policy Resources
- Grant Forms (OMB)
- Limited English Proficiency (OCR)
- Animal Welfare (NIH)
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA)
- Federal Register (GPO)
- Legal Resources (GAO)
- Human Research Protections (OHRP)
- Research Integrity (ORI)
- Single Point of Contact (SPOC) List (OMB)
This grant information site is maintained by the HHS Division of Grants (DG). Please share your comments and suggestions for this site by email to: Grants.Net@hhs.gov
Last Updated: 01/24/2013