Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the online source for credible health information and is the official Web site of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Rape Prevention and Education Program encourages the development of comprehensive prevention strategies through a continuum of activities that address all levels of the social ecological model. It is important that these activities are developmentally appropriate for the audience and are conducted at different life stages. This approach is more likely to prevent sexual violence across a lifetime than any single intervention or policy change.
- Sexual Violence section provides general and scientific information, risk factors, protective strategies, consequences, applicable reports/studies, and featured resources.
- Understanding Teen Dating Violence Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Understanding Sexual Violence: Fact Sheet (PDF)
Darkness to Light (D2L) is a nonprofit organization with the mission of reducing the incidence of child sexual abuse through public awareness and education. The D2L programs raise awareness of the prevalence and consequences of child sexual abuse by educating adults about the steps they can take to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to the reality of child sexual abuse.
- Toll-free Helpline—(866) FOR-LIGHT [(866) 367-5444]—for individuals living in the United States who need local information and resources about sexual abuse. Helpline information.
- Get Help Related to Child Sexual Abuse
- National Resources Look here for all types of child sexual abuse resources—organizations that support survivors, children, organizations, and prevention of child sexual abuse.
- Reporting Child Sexual Abuse to the Authorities
Enough Is Enough® (EIE) is a nonprofit organization focusing its efforts on confronting online pornography, child pornography, child stalking, sexual predation, and other forms of online victimization. By leveraging its expertise, growing national partnership network, and positive reputation among the public, the media, law enforcement, and the Internet industry, EIE continues to advance innovative initiatives and effective communication strategies to protect children online.
The Joyful Child Foundation is dedicated to preventing crimes against children through programs that educate, empower, and unite families and communities. The foundation was created by the mother of Samantha Runnion, a child victim of sexual abuse. Be Brave, Be Safe: A Parent’s Guide to Prevention (PDF|HTML)
National Association to Prevent Sexual Abuse of Children (NAPSAC) and its Foundation are organizations dedicated to ending childhood sexual abuse in three generations through awareness, education, and the advocacy of children’s rights.
- Three Pillars of NAPSAC
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) is an organization that serves as the nation’s resource leader on the issues of missing and sexually exploited children. The information and resources provided are for law enforcement, parents, children, and victims.
- CyberTipline is a resource that allows anyone to report incidents of child sexual exploitation, including the possession, manufacture, and/or distribution of child pornography; online enticement; child prostitution; child sex tourism; extrafamilial child sexual molestation; unsolicited obscene material sent to a child; and misleading domain names, words, or digital images.
- Make a report at www.cybertipline.com or by calling (800) THE-LOST if you have information that will help in the fight against child sexual exploitation. The CyberTipline is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- NCMEC Prevention and Safety Education Publications and Program Links offer easy-to-use safety resources to help address prevention education topics. It is most beneficial to help build children’s confidence and teach them to respond to a potentially dangerous situation, rather than teaching them to look out for a particular type of person.
National Center for Victims of Crime is dedicated to forging a national commitment to help victims of crime rebuild their lives.
- Connect Directory – Helping You Connect with Crime Victim Assistance
National Online Resource Center on Violence Against Women (VAWnet) is a project of the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence and is a comprehensive and easily accessible online collection of full-text, searchable materials and resources on domestic violence, sexual violence, and related issues.
- Sexual Violence section offers effective strategies and reliable, culturally relevant tools that are necessary to bring about heightened public awareness and the focused societal commitment necessary to end violence against women. This area provides resources to support prevention (primary, secondary, and tertiary) and social change education activities that identify and address factors that perpetuate and increase the risk of sexual violence.
National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) serves as the nation’s principal information and resource center regarding all aspects of sexual violence. It provides national leadership, consultation, and technical assistance by generating and facilitating the development and flow of information on sexual violence intervention and prevention strategies. The NSVRC works to address the causes and impact of sexual violence through collaboration, prevention efforts, and the distribution of resources.
The NetSmartz® Workshop is an interactive, educational program of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children that provides age-appropriate resources to help teach children how to be safer on- and offline. The program is designed for children aged 5–17, parents and guardians, educators, and law enforcement.
- NetSmartz Kids
- NetSmartz Tweens/Teens
- NetSmartz411 is the premier, online resource for answering questions about Internet safety, computers, and the Web for parents and guardians.
- Safety Presentations
- Popular Topics
Office on Violence Against Women is a component of the U.S. Department of Justice, providing national leadership in developing the nation's capacity to reduce violence against women through the implementation of the Violence Against Women Act.
- Area of Focus: Sexual Assault section includes general information and state sexual assault coalition listings.
- Resource Sharing Project is part of a national movement of sexual violence-related services and resources working to end sexual violence and support survivors at the local, state, and national levels in the United States.
- Sexual Assault Services Program Resources page
Office for Victims of Crime is committed to enhancing the nation’s capacity to assist crime victims and to providing leadership in changing attitudes, policies, and practices to promote justice and healing for all victims of crime.
- Crime Victimization Topic: Sexual Abuse or Violence
- Online Directory of Crime Victim Services is a resource designed to help service providers and individuals locate nonemergency crime victim service agencies in the United States and abroad.
- Resources for Sexual Assault Response Teams Toolkit is a collection of resources that service providers may use to formalize, expand on, or evaluate their interagency responses.
The radKIDS® life skills safety program is available for providing holistic, practical, and realistic information for children and parents.
Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) is the nation’s largest anti-sexual assault organization.
- National Sexual Assault Hotlines are secure, anonymous, confidential crisis support for victims of sexual assault and their friends and families. Both hotlines are free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Toll-free National Sexual Assault Hotline—(800) 656-HOPE [(800) 656-4673]
- Online Hotline (instant-messaging format)
- Free Online Training for Crisis Centers and Volunteers on helping victims of sexual assault. RAINN provides the service at no charge to 1,100 local rape-crisis-center affiliates and their thousands of staff members and volunteers.
- Search for a specific crisis center in your area.
Stop It Now! is an organization committed to preventing the sexual abuse of children by mobilizing adults, families, and communities to take actions that protect children before they are harmed.
- Ask Now! Advice column offers you facts, guidance and resources to keep kids safe from sexual abuse.
- Learn Everyday Actions to Keep Kids Safe
- Concerned About Sex Offenders in Your Neighborhood?
- Learn to Recognize Warning Signs
- Talking to Children and Teens
- Create a Family Safety Plan
- What Parents Need to Know When Selecting a Program for a Child
- Keeping Adults and Children Safe on the Internet
Stop the Silence: Stop Child Sexual Abuse, Inc is an organization of multiethnic and state groups aimed to increase awareness and conduct programming to address the prevention and treatment of child sexual abuse. The organization focuses on the relationships among child sexual abuse and the broader issues of overall family and community violence and violence within and between communities.