En español



What to know about the Postdoctoral Process - Pre-application


Who do I call to apply for a grant for undergraduate or graduate research training?

Research Training Committee Contact List

How do I know if NIDA is interested in my research area?

You may know that NIDA supports a broad array of research on drug abuse and addiction, but you may not be sure whether we support research training on questions of interest to you. You may also wonder how your research area fits into the funding priorities of NIDA and who at NIDA has a research training portfolio in your research area. You can learn more about NIDA's mission by reading the Strategic Plan. You can view NIDA's organizational structure and look at the mission statements of specific divisions and branches of NIDA at www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida/organization. And you can learn about important research priorities set by the Director of NIDA. If you think there may be a possible fit or you are still unsure, please give contact us.

How do I know if I am eligible for a NIDA grant?

See http://grants.nih.gov/archive/grants/policy/nihgps/part_ii_1.htm#eligibility for a description of eligibility criteria. If you have questions about your eligibility, contact a NIDA Program Official for advice. If the NIDA Program Official is unable to make the determination, he or she may ask you to contact the NIDA referral officer.

How do I apply?

Initial application forms and instructions for postdoctoral grantees can be found at the following web address: http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/funding/416/phs416.htm.

Where can I get EIN and DUNS numbers?

On the face page of the application, you must enter the Entity Identification Number (EIN) and the DUNS number for the institution from which you are applying. Search for your institution's EIN on the NIH web at http://impacii.info.nih.gov/tools/ein/ein_index.cfm. Obtain your institution's DUNS number by calling Dun and Bradstreet's customer service office at 866-472-7362.

I am a U.S. citizen at a foreign institution. What do I need to know to apply from a foreign institution?

Information on eligibility that addresses what is required for a foreign application can be found at http://grants.nih.gov/archive/grants/policy/nihgps/part_ii_1.htm#eligibility. Here are the things you must do:

  1. Get the Entity Identification Number (EIN Number) for your foreign institution, which will go on the face page of your application. Ask your sponsor or see the question immediately above. Start inquiring early, because if one is not already assigned, the process can be long and could conceivably delay your eligibility for funding.
  2. Provide in your application a detailed, justification as to why the resources of the foreign institution are unique and not available in the US. This is critical. The justification needs to address: the sponsor; the human and material resources; the environment; accessibility of study populations; and anything else that you think sets your proposed institution apart from those in the US.
  3. Look carefully at the various assurances - human, animal, responsible conduct of research, etc. - at the web site given immediately above and find out exactly what you must do. Start to collect information and complete any processes to resolve human, animal and responsible conduct of research issues before you apply for the individual postdoctoral grant. As an applicant from a foreign institution, you may have to complete some aspects of your application that are usually handled at the institutional level in the US. Therefore, begin early so that your eligibility for funding is not delayed.
  4. Be aware that proposals from foreign institutions tend to provide less detail in many aspects of the proposal than those from US institutions do, and sketchier proposals fare more poorly in review. Therefore, make sure that your proposal in all of its aspects and from all of its contributors is thorough, detailed and specific.
  5. Contact persons you will ask for letters of reference (who will send their letters under separate cover from your application), get information on how to get official academic transcripts (sent under separate cover from your application), find out if you have taken the tests they require you to report on (Graduate Record Examinations (GREs) etc.) or if you have taken or can take a foreign equivalent - and if an equivalent, provide documentation to allow the reviewers to evaluate your test performance. Provide test results (GRE or equivalent) in the same section as your academic grades (by institution and year, with class title), but have them also sent by an official source under separate cover and indicate this in the academic report section.

How do I find out the kind of grants I may apply for?

The following Program Announcement is available for individual postdoctoral award (F32) applicants.

When can I apply?

Individual postdoctoral grant applications are received on April 8, August 8, and December 8. These are the postmark dates. It is recommended that you use a trackable shipping method, such as FedEx. Look for instructions for electronic submission in the latter half of 2007.

When will I be reviewed?

Individual postdoctoral grant applications are reviewed in the NIDA-K study section as follows.

  • Receipt date - April 8, Review - June/July
  • Receipt date - August 8, Review - October/November
  • Receipt date - December 8, Review - February/March

How will I know how my grant did in review?

First, you will receive a notice stating the priority score. The priority score ranges from 100 to a 500. Lower numbers reflect higher technical merit and greater likelihood of funding. Note that your application will not receive a percentile score because there is only one review study section at NIDA. Later, you will receive a summary sheet. The summary sheet provides detailed comments by the reviewers, a summary of the discussion, and alerts you to anything you need to handle before an award could be considered. It is not a guarantee of award.

Who should I call to discuss my review?

You should call the person whose name appears in the upper left-hand corner of your summary sheet. This is your Program Official, also known as your Project Officer. This person is your primary contact in the government.

When should I call to discuss my review?

You should call as soon as you receive the summary sheet.

When can I be funded?

For individual postdoctoral grant applications:

  • Receipt date - April 8, Approximate Start Date - September
  • Receipt date - August 8, Approximate Start Date - January
  • Receipt date - December 8, Approximate Start Date - May

How do I know if I have been funded?

The only guarantee of funding is your Notice of Research Fellowship Award, also known as the Notice of Grant Award or the NGA. The NGA is sent to you and to your university business official directly via e-mail.

What should I do if it seems late and I still haven't received an award?

First check the earliest date of award immediately above according to the receipt date for which you submitted your grant. If the earliest date of award has past, contact the person whose name appears in the upper left-hand corner of the summary statement from your grant review. This person is your Program Official. Your Program Official can let you know if final funding decisions have been made, since this varies a little from year to year. If the institute was unable to fund your grant this time, you may want to ask your Program Official about submitting a revised application. If your timetable or other considerations do not allow you to revise and resubmit, you may want to explore with your Program Official other kinds of NIH grants to pursue now or in the future.

How do I know if I have time to prepare a revised application?

Identify a NIDA Program Official in the appropriate division of your research interest who can lead you through this process. The individual postdoctoral awards (F32) and postdoctoral training on the institutional research training grant (T32) together count towards a total postdoctoral eligibility of 3 years of training on all Kirschstein National Research Service Awards, also known as NRSAs.

Can I be funded on an individual postdoctoral grant if I am already on an Institutional Training Grant?

Check with your Program Official to determine your Grants Management Specialist. Then contact your Grants Management Specialist who will tell you what to do in your individual case.

Can I be funded for an individual postdoctoral grant if I am currently a postdoctoral trainee on an institutional training grant?

Yes, but the same advice given immediately above applies in this case as well. Please discuss this situation with your Grants Management Specialist as soon as possible.

When should I terminate from my existing NRSA grant?

If you are currently being funded on an NIH institutional training grant (T32) or an NIH individual predoctoral grant (F30 or F31) or postdoctoral grant (F32), you are on a Kirschstein National Service Award (NRSA). Contact your grants Management Specialist (see above) who will assist you with termination procedures. However, for issues concerning the timing of termination, speak with your Program Official.

How do I prepare a revised application?

After you've spoken with your Program Official to discuss the review, see the instructions, including notes for revised applications: Form 416 Instructions (PDF, 721KB). Note the table that shows page lengths for various items, including "The introduction to the revised application." The introduction is a key part of the revised application and is one page long. In the introduction, you will list the reviewer's criticisms and your responses to them accordingly. The application form, known PHS 416-1, is at the following address, and the form is only available electronically: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/416/phs416.htm. Please see other frequently asked questions in this research training series for other information pertinent to revised applications.

    Search for Funding

    Featured Publication

    Mentoring, A Guide for Drug Abuse Researchers publication cover

    Mentoring: A Guide for Drug Abuse Researchers

    Discusses the importance of quality mentorship in drug abuse research and offers suggestions for creating a successful mentor and mentee relationship.