Building and Managing Websites
Delivering online information to citizens begins with building great websites and continues with making regular improvements through effective management. Use the resources below to help make sure your sites deliver the best possible customer service.
New and Redesigned Websites
If you are building or redesigning a website, we want to help you make your site great. Your DCD liaison will work with you to make sure your site will:
- Meet your business needs and goals
- Meet the needs of your target audiences
- Comply with best practices and standards for plain writing, usability, 508 compliance, and design
All new or substantially changed website plans must be approved by DCD before launch. Work with your DCD Liaison from the beginning to ensure your website meets all HHS policies and standards.
- Learn about the site development process and milestones that require DCD approval
- Use this checklist (PDF - 89kb) to guide your Web development efforts. All websites will be reviewed by your liaison against this document.
Managing Existing Websites
If you are managing an existing website, keeping content up to date, ensuring site users can complete their tasks, and driving continuous user-centered improvement are critical. Use the following resources to help manage your site successfully.
- Apply HHS Web Standards and Usability Guidelines
- Evaluate your site with usability testing
- Conduct regular 508 compliance testing and broken link scanning
- Write for the Web using Plain Language, best practices for formatting Web content, and the HHS Web Style Guide
- Understand user behavior with analytics and customer feedback
- Improve the findability of your site and content with Search Engine Optimization tactics
- Ensure proper documentation for site management and regular content review
If your site is managed by DCD, we will be happy to process your update request or to get you access to the tools you need to make the changes yourself.
- Request updates to your website by contacting your Digital Communication Division Liaison
- Use this web update checklist (PDF, 60kb) before you submit your request to your DCD liaison
- Learn more about web requests, including submitting documents and completion time for requests
If you have direct access to the Percussion Web Content Management System and you need technical support, your first resource is ASPA's web developers.
Learn about what support is available and how to submit a request for support