Finding a Source Priority Sources
With the exception of certain specialized acquisitions specified in the FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulations) 8.002, the agency shall satisfy requirements for services in the following order. Acquisition personnel are required to check these sources before purchasing on the open market.
NIH Indefinite Delivery Contracts
- Committee for Purchase From People who are Blind or Severely Disabled
- Federal Supply Schedules
- NIH Blanket Purchase Agreements (BPAs) - "FSS" Vendors
- UNICOR/Federal Prison IndustriesCommercial Sources
Open market sources that include commercial businesses, as well as educational and nonprofit institutions, whose services are not covered by the mandatory sources listed above. Use of an open market source is then permitted.
- Scientific Equipment Services (BEP)
- NIH Blanket Purchase Agreements (BPAs) – “OM” Vendors
- Applied BioSystems - Preventive Maintenance of PE Biosystems Instruments
- Beckman Coulter, Inc - Preventive Maintenance of Instruments
- Fisher BioServices a subsidiary of Thermo Fisher Scientific - Freezer Repository/specimen storage
- IT Solutions and Partners (CIO-SP3) - IT Services/ Solutions
- Thermo Electron Fisher (Kendro Laboratory Products) - Preventive Maintenance of Kendro (HERAEUS-SORVALL) Lab Products
- Thermo Fisher Scientific and other alterntives - Freezer maintenance
Other Open Market Sources
Making the Purchase
The requestor must complete a Purchase Request" form (NIH 1861-1), http://forms.nih.gov/adobe/procurement/NH1861_1.PDF including potential sources, applicable justification, and all required approval signatures. (Your IC may have other internal procedures to follow).
Depending on the required item and source(s), one of the following purchasing mechanisms is used.
The delegated mechanism used to purchase against Blanket Purchase Agreements or Indefinite Delivery Contracts. BPA Calls are used to places orders and obligate funds.
A simplified acquisition mechanism designed to: 1) reduce procurement lead time and cost of processing purchase orders; 2) streamline payment procedures and reduce paperwork; 3) improve cash management practices such as forecasting and consolidating payments; and 4) provide procedural checks and feedback to improve management control and decision making.
Indefinite Delivery Contracts (IDCs)
This contract provides for supplies and equipment to be furnished during a fixed period, with deliveries or performance to be scheduled by placing orders with the contractor. IDC's are used for items that are needed on a continuous basis, or which are not stocked.
An offer by the Government to buy certain supplies or services and construction from commercial sources, upon specified terms and conditions, the aggregate amount of which does not exceed the simplified acquisition threshold.
Purchase Order-Invoice-Voucher (SF44)
A cash purchase procedure designed for purchases when a vendor will not accept any other acquisition mechanism, such as a BPA Call, purchase order, or Government Purchase card. A voucher delegated to 1) the delegated Approving Official for purchases of $1,500 or less; and 2) Office of Logistics and Acquisition Operations and COAC’s for purchases up to $2,500, if authorized.