The following clause is applicable to all purchase orders, task/delivery orders and BPA Calls: Prompt Payment, as amended FAR 52.232-25. Highlights of this clause and NIH implementation requirements follow:
- Invoice Requirements
- An invoice is the Vendor’s bill or written request for payment under the contract for supplies delivered or services performed. A proper invoice is an “Original” which must include the items listed in bullets 1 through 11 below. If the invoice does not comply with these requirements, it can result in an invoice being considered improper and returned to the vendor.
- Name and Address of the Vendor
- Invoice date (Date Invoice Submitted)
- Order number and where applicable, main agreement (e.g., BPA and Contract #)
- Description, quantity, unit of measure, unit price, and extended price of supplies delivered or service performed
- Shipping and payment terms (e.g., shipment number and date of shipment, prompt payment discount terms)
- Name and complete mailing address where payment is to be sent per ACH information on record
- Name (where practicable), title, telephone number and mailing address of person to be notified in the event of a defective invoice
- DUNS number or DUNS+4, as registered in CCR
- Vendor Identification Number (VIN). NOTE: This only applies to new purchase orders, task/delivery
orders and BPA Calls awarded on/after June 4, 2007. The VIN is a 7 digit number that appears after the
vendor’s name on the face page of the award document in the block where the contractor’s name and address
appear. Inclusion of the VIN on the invoice is not required if the invoice identifies the contractor’s
DUNS or DUNS+4.
- Any other information or documentation required by the order (e.g., evidence of shipment)
- Unique Invoice Number which can only be used one time regardless of the number of contracts or orders
held by an organization (or business unit identified by a separate DUNS or DUNS+4 number), regardless if
the invoices are being issued out of separate locations.
- Shipping costs will be reimbursed only if authorized by the Contract/Purchase Order. If authorized, shipping costs must be itemized. Where shipping costs exceed $100, the invoice must be supported by a bill of lading or a paid carrier’s receipt.
- Mail the original itemized invoice to:
National Institutes of Health
Office of Financial Management Commercial Accounts
2115 East Jefferson Street, Room 4B-432, MSC 8500
Bethesda, MD 20892-8500
For inquires regarding payment call:
Chief, Accounts Payable Section, OFM (301) 496-6088
- Invoice Payment
- Except as indicated in paragraph B below, the due date for making invoice payments by the designated payment
office shall be the later of the following two events:
- The 30th day after the designated billing office has received a proper invoice
- The 30th day after Government acceptance of supplies delivered or services performed
- The due date for making invoice payments for meat and meat food products, perishable agricultural commodities,
dairy products, and edible fats or oils, shall be in accordance with the Prompt Payment Act, as amended.
- Interest Penalties
- An interest penalty shall be paid automatically, if payment is not made by the due date and the conditions
listed below are met, if applicable
- A proper invoice was received by the designated billing office
- A receiving report or other Government documentation authorizing payment was processed and there was no disagreement over quantity, quality, or contractor compliance with a term or condition.
- In the case of a final invoice for any balance of funds due the contractor for supplies delivered or services performed, the amount was not subject to further settlement actions between the Government and the Contractor
- Determination of interest and penalties due will be made in accordance with the provisions of the Prompt Payment Act, as amended, the Contract Disputes Act, and regulations issued by the Office of Management and Budget.