Creighton Heart Education Center
The project's target population includes African Americans in the
Omaha Metropolitan Area and Douglas County.
This project will use community-based approaches to increase
heart-healthy behavior among African Americans in the targeted community.
Specific strategies include:
- Conducting media and education campaigns to raise community
- Conducting community-based cardiovascular health screening,
referral, and follow-up services using a mobile screening unit and health
- Conducting nutrition education (including shopping tours,
cooking schools, and healthy eating classes) and physical activity classes.
- Training community health advocates to conduct comprehensive
heart health awareness activities to increase the adoption of heart-healthy
- Conducting professional education training.
The proposed strategies will focus on all four NHLBI performance
- Prevent development of risk factors.
- Detect and treat risk factors.
- Recognize and treat acute coronary syndromes early.
- Prevent recurrence and complications of CVD.
This project aims to achieve the following:
- Increase awareness of and action to control CVD risk factors.
- Increase adoption of heart-healthy lifestyle behaviors through
implementation of community-based exercise, nutrition and weight management,
smoking cessation, and blood pressure control interventions.
- Increase physicians' awareness and application of the latest
NHLBI CVD "best practice" interventions.