The project's target population includes minority and low
socio-economic status residents in Lucas County, mostly African Americans.
This project will use community-based approaches to increase
heart-healthy behavior among minorities in the targeted community. Specific
- Facilitating walking clubs and other activities to increase
- Conducting blood pressure and exercise train-the-trainer
- Providing community-based cardiovascular health screening,
referral, and follow-up services.
- Conducting culturally tailored nutrition, smoking cessation,
and heart attack awareness courses.
- Conducting community education forums to increase awareness
and knowledge of cardiovascular disease risk factors, prevention, and control.
The proposed strategies will focus on three NHLBI performance
- Prevent development of risk factors.
- Detect and treat risk factors.
- Recognize and treat acute coronary syndromes early.
This project aims to achieve the following:
- Increase awareness of blood pressure and cholesterol numbers.
- Increase heart healthy behaviors.
- Increase knowledge of heart attack warning signs and actions