Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Vascular Disease Center
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
The project's target population includes African American
communities in Forsyth County.
This project will use community-based approaches to increase
heart-healthy behavior among African Americans in the targeted community.
Specific strategies include:
- Providing community-based cardiovascular health screening,
referral, and follow-up services.
- Creating personalized health action plans to facilitate
positive behavior change.
- Training community health advisors to implement heart health
- Conducting community events to increase awareness of stroke
- Facilitating stroke prevention worksite wellness programs.
The proposed strategies will focus on three NHLBI performance
- Prevent development of risk factors.
- Detect and treat risk factors.
- Prevent recurrence and complications of cardiovascular
This project aims to achieve the following:
- Increase awareness of and community education about stroke
- Increase control of stroke risk factors.
- Reduce incidence of stroke among African Americans.