Wright State University School of Medicine
Division of Health
The project's target population includes Appalachian and African
American patients and their physicians in Montgomery County.
This project will use community- and clinic-based approaches to
improve patient outcomes among Appalachians and African Americans in the
targeted community. Specific strategies include:
- Increasing blood pressure and cholesterol management through
systems changes and interactive professional education (i.e. chart audits,
case-based education/training, utilizing "best practices" from NHLBI clinical
practice guidelines to detect, treat, and control high blood pressure and high
- Conducting a "Know Your Numbers" media awareness campaign to
increase knowledge and awareness of blood pressure and cholesterol.
The proposed strategies will focus on three NHLBI performance
- Detect and treat risk factors.
- Recognize and treat acute coronary syndromes early.
- Prevent recurrence and complications of cardiovascular
This project aims to achieve the following:
- Increase community awareness and knowledge of cardiovascular
disease risk factors.
- Improve physician practice behavior related to controlling
high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol.
- Increase number of people treated for high blood pressure and
- Improve patient outcomes and satisfaction.