Basic Search - Author
A Basic Search - Author
materials by personal or group authors.
- Personal authors and creators include editors, performers,
photographers, artists, etc.
- Group authors and creators include corporate entities,
government bodies, conferences, etc.
** If you are looking for materials about someone
(real or fictional), or about a government body, company, or organization,
use the Subject search option.
Search limits are not available.
Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) are
Author Search Examples:
|Name type . . .
||Search Example . . .
|compound last name
||garcia marquez gabriel
||united states agency for international development
||archivo general de indias
||conferencia nacional dos bispos do brasil
- Omit initial articles (a, an, the, das, el, la, etc.) in any language.
- Always omit initial punctuation in any language (e.g., quotation
marks, ). Also, omit intervening commas, periods, apostrophes, and most
other punctuation. Exception: hyphens should always be retained.
- Searches are automatically truncated and retrieve catalog records
beginning with the words, word roots or phrases enters. Do not use
the question mark (?) for truncation.
- Personal author
- Enter the author/creator's last name followed by the first name: borges
- If the spelling of the last name is uncertain, enter as much as
you know: halperin don (omit first names, titles of nobility,
- Retain the hyphen in a hyphenated name: gomez-lobo
- For names with connectives (de, van, von, der), follow the conventions
of the person's country or language: de janvry alain; costa emilia
- Group authors (government agencies, organizations, conferences)
- As with individual authors, search enough of the name to distinguish
- In most instances, department is often abbreviated to dept or depto; search using both forms to ensure that all
relevant records are retrieved
- Search hierarchical names in full descending order: chile servicio
nacional de la mujer
- Search both acronyms and full names in all languages to retrieve
all relevant catalog records. Search mercosur and mercosul as
well as mercado comun del sur/sul
- Proceedings of conferences, meetings, etc. can be found by searching
on the full name of the conference: seminario sobre el rol de los
References and Scope Notes:
In search results, some retrieved headings will not link directly to catalog
records, but will supply the user with links to related headings or scope
notes (marked with the icon) as illustrated in the
More detailed information on References and Scope Notes is available.
Alternative Search Options:
If you do not find what you are looking for using an Author search,
try a Boolean Keyword or
a Guided search and
type in whatever information you know. For example, if you do not know
the specific name of a conference, try a Boolean Keyword search
using what you do know (e.g., part of the name of the conference, location,
date: feria AND libro AND guadalajara AND 1999).
Use the browser's [Back]
button to resume searching.
>>Top of Page