Basic Search - Boolean Keyword
A Basic Search - Boolean Keyword
for more complex searches using Boolean operators and special index codes.
Basic Search - Boolean Keyword is the most powerful search
method available for the Handbook of Latin American Studies Online Catalog
(HLAS OPAC). Use this search method to retrieve
items with selected words or phrases located anywhere in the catalog record.
Boolean Keyword may be used for a simple single-word search, but it also
allows for more complex searches that combine multiple terms from one or
more fields of a record.
Search limits are
operators (AND, OR, NOT)
may be used with or without parentheses
index codes may be used to focus the search
Boolean Keyword Examples:
|To retrieve . . .
||Enter the search string . . .
|materials on women in Argentina or Chile
||(argentina OR chile) AND women
|materials by and about Carlos Fuentes
|| knam "fuentes carlos"
|catalog record for HLAS Control Number (bi number) bi 89004654
||k010 bi 89004654
|ISSN 1094-1304 (Hispanic American Historical Review)
ISBN 0-822-33379-1 (The Cord Keepers: Khipus and Cultural Life
in a Peruvian Village)
|materials about race published by Duke University Press
||skey race AND 260b duke
| web sites and CD-ROMs about music
||set search limits Type of Material: Electronic Resource
|information about regional development initiatives apart from NAFTA
||(skey regional OR skey economic) AND skey integration NOT
- Set search limits before constructing the search.
- Use ? at the end of a search word for truncation (e.g., archeol? will
search for archeology, archeological, etc.).
- Enclose exact search phrases in quotation marks (e.g., "sustainable
Truncation may be included within quoted phrases (e.g., "afr? american").
- Combine several terms using Boolean
operators: AND, OR, or NOT.
Boolean operators may be entered in upper or lower case.
- AND - narrows
the search by combining multiple concepts
(e.g., gender AND history)
- OR - broadens
the search with related terms for each
concept (e.g., ten OR 10; agua OR
- NOT - excludes
terms from the search (e.g., viceroyalty
NOT peru) Note: be
careful when selecting the Boolean NOT operator
so that desired catalog records are not
- If you want to include the words and, or or not as search words, it is necessary to include
them, along with other words in quotes
as a phrase.
- Combine several Boolean operators in a single search statement, using parentheses to group concepts together.
Example: (wood? OR forest) AND "resource manage?"
- Restrict search words or phrases to a particular index (or area of the catalog record), by preceding them with the appropriate Index Code prior to the search word or phrase (e.g., ktil amor AND knam garcia).
Use the browser's [Back]
button to resume searching.
>>Top of Page